Thursday, February 21, 2013

PlayStation 4, With x86 Architecture and GDDR5


Playstation 4 is already unveiled and we're looking at a very fast and open system here. Seriously, I still remember playing Playstation 1 like it was yesterday. Oh wait, was it 10 years ago? Time flies, but technology flies damn faster.

Final Fantasy IX was my favorite game back then in PS1, and every time an FMV (a pre-rendered video happens in the middle of the game) showed up I'd go "Oh shit, so cooool!!" while jumping on my bed.  Well now, with this monster console, you'll be able to play the whole game as if it were an FMV. Oh no, does that mean I have to jump endlessly while playing the game?



Sony also took a big leap by moving from Power to x86 architecture. Most of home PCs out there use x86 architecture. So what does that mean? That means someday you might be able to make your own Playstation console games with your own computer now, without any virtualization whatsoever.

Well, if you are a game designer, get ready and fasten your seatbelt for a more competitive market. If you are a gamer, get ready for the new habit saying "Meh" to all the crappy games produced by new startups/game maker companies. Yes, just like what's happening now at the iOS and Android apps market.

According to this site, PS4 will be shipped with AMD APU -- most likely with a Jaguar core. Well I'm not that fond of AMD products so I'm gonna skip the part where I say "Intel's Ivy Bridge will definitely be far better on this machine". Ah damn, I just did it. Also according to the same site, the AMD cores are 1400% slower than an Intel's Ivy Bridge chip. What gives? But OK, I'm pretty sure Sony had their own reasons for this.

But anyway, I can't wait to get one and play around with it. Hurry up, Sony!

No comments:

Post a Comment